Thursday 17 February 2011

Ikenaga Yasunari


I've just fallen in love with the wonderful art of Ikenaga Yasunari, Japanese contemporary artist extraordinaire. Although fairly young (b. 1965), he works in an old Japanese painting tradition called nihonga, and the result is simply mesmerizing. These women are so beautiful in themselves, and add to that their gorgeous clothing and those fabrics surrounding them. Like washi paper.

















Thanks to this post for making me discover something this lovely. I hope I'll get to see some original paintings one day. I hope I get to go to Japan one day too.

2 comments:

Linda said...

They are absolutely beautiful!

Jenny Kellerman Pillay said...

I can't get enough of them! Maybe I'll send a link to the East Asian Museum and tell them to bring him here for an exhibition.