Sunday 31 October 2010

october round-up bargains


Walking by a good vintage store with huge signs saying 50% off everything, is very difficult, not to say impossible. So I didn't, I went inside Emmaus last Wednesday. I had in mind that I wanted to get a new 60's nightgown, and I found a perfect ice blue one immediately. 50 kronor, thank you very much.




I already have a few of these, cos they're like candy, and I love them. Not only are they super cute, but also very soft and comfy. This one turned out to be very warm though, so it'll be perfect when winter's here for real. We had a short snow scare the other week, and it's not supposed to snow in October, really. Fortunately it melted almost straight away, and this week it's been milder and just as autumn should be. Crisp and clear skies showing off the last remaining colours clinging to the trees.



I also found a couple of polyester dresses that only cost 30 kronor each, so I took my chances with them without trying them on (I was out during my lunch break). After buying vintage dresses for about 15 years, at least, I'm pretty good at knowing what works, and what doesn't. First, I saw this cute gold flower, like a built-in-brooch.



The rest of the dress wasn't too bad looking either, I'm guessing it's from the 80's, although a bit plain. But plain makes the best base and I already had something in mind.




I thought this belt would go perfectly with the dress, and I was right. It looks great! And the dress is a perfect fit too, so I'm very happy with that bargain.




The other dress was more of a long shot, because I knew the 70's shape wouldn't work. But there was something about it that I liked, and for 30 kronor it's no biggie if it becomes a project I don't take on for a while. I need to figure it out for a while, what would be the best solution.



I like the details around the neck, but the sleeves are way too big, as is the rest of the dress. It's in very good condition though, and I love the colour, so I have faith in it's makeover. Whether I keep it as a dress, shorten the sleeves, tighten the sides, or make a 2-piece instead. I'll keep you posted on the progress.



Another project that's been waiting for my attention I finally got around to today, and I'm very happy with the result. It's the maroon 60's dress with the beautiful purple lining, that had a bit too pointy collar wings for my taste, and also the neck was a bit too big. I wasn't sure how to alter it when I started, but in the end it came out like a polo neck, with a peep hole, which I think works quite well with the dress as a whole. I've put tiny hidden buttons on the inside of the collar, otherwise it'll be a bit difficult to put on.

Hope you all had a good week, and a good October, as it ends today. Happy Halloween!

No comments: